Last Updated on October 23, 2023 by Jhonni Jets
How to Reboot Vizio TV Without Remote
It can be frustrating when your Vizio TV stops responding to remote commands or gets stuck on a certain screen. Rebooting your TV can often fix minor software glitches and get your TV working properly again. But what if you’ve lost your remote or the batteries have died? Don’t worry, there are several ways to reboot your Vizio TV even without a working remote control.
In this guide, I’ll walk you through the step-by-step instructions on how to reboot your Vizio TV using alternative methods when you don’t have access to the remote control. We’ll cover both smart TVs with built-in WiFi as well as non-smart models.
Table of Content
Before we get started, there are a few things you’ll need to reboot your Vizio TV without the remote:
- The Vizio TV itself needs rebooting (this guide covers 2016 models and newer)
- Access to the buttons on the back of the TV
- WiFi network credentials if rebooting a smart TV model
- A mobile device like a smartphone or tablet (for smart TVs)
As long as you have access to the rear panel of the TV, you should be able to reboot it through one of the methods outlined below.
Rebooting Vizio Smart TVs Without Remote
If you own a 2016 model year or newer Vizio smart TV, there are two main ways to reboot it without using the included remote control. The methods include using the onboard buttons and controls, or by using the Vizio SmartCast app.
Method 1: Use the Physical Buttons
Vizio smart TVs have a row of physical buttons located on the back right side of the TV. These can be used to control the basic functions of the TV including powering off and on.
Follow these steps to reboot your Vizio smart TV using the onboard buttons:
- Locate the buttons on the back right side of the rear panel of your Vizio TV. They should have icons for power, volume, input, etc.
- Press and hold down the power button on the TV itself for 10-15 seconds until the TV turns off.
- Once the TV is powered down completely, press the power button again to turn it back on.
- If the TV turns on but is still unresponsive, repeat steps 2-3 holding the power button down for 20+ seconds to force a hard reboot.
The onboard physical buttons act as a backup if your remote ever stops working. This reboot process will clear any temporary glitches and restart the smart TV software fresh.
Method 2: Use the Vizio SmartCast App
If your Vizio smart TV is connected to your home WiFi network, you can use the free Vizio SmartCast app to remotely reboot it from your smartphone or tablet.
Here are the steps to use the SmartCast app to reboot your TV:
- Download and install the Vizio SmartCast app on your iOS or Android mobile device if you haven’t already.
- Make sure your Vizio TV and mobile device are on the same local WiFi network.
- Open the SmartCast app and it will automatically detect any Vizio smart TVs on your network.
- Tap on your TV from the list of detected devices in the app. This will connect your phone to the TV.
- On the TV status page in the app, find and select the “Reboot TV” option.
- A prompt will appear on your phone asking if you want to restart the TV. Tap Reboot to confirm.
- The TV will shut down, restart, and reload the SmartCast home screen.
The SmartCast app provides full remote control functionality from your mobile device. Rebooting your Vizio TV remotely can be handy if the physical buttons are hard to access for any reason.
Rebooting Non-Smart Vizio TVs
If you have an older non-smart Vizio TV without built-in WiFi, rebooting it is still possible but the options are more limited. Your only choice is to use the onboard buttons on the TV itself.
Here are the steps to reboot a non-smart Vizio TV:
- Find the power button on the back right side of the TV’s rear panel. It will likely have a standby symbol.
- Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds straight to force the TV to shut down.
- Once the TV is off, press the power button again briefly to turn it back on.
- If the reboot is successful, the Vizio logo should display as the TV starts up.
Without remote or smart features, the power button on a non-smart Vizio TV is the only way to reboot it. This should still force a fresh restart to troubleshoot any problems.
Troubleshooting Reboot Issues
If you’ve tried rebooting your Vizio TV using the methods above but are still experiencing issues, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- For smart TVs, check that the WiFi connection is working properly if trying to use the SmartCast app method.
- Make sure all of the onboard buttons are clean and not obstructed.
- Attempt to reboot the TV by unplugging the power cord from the outlet for 60 seconds.
- Factory reset the TV using the onboard menu if rebooting does not resolve persistent software issues.
Rebooting is usually the first step in troubleshooting minor glitches with Vizio TVs. But for continued problems, you may need to dig deeper or contact Vizio support for warranty repair options.
Preventing Remote Control Loss and Failure
To avoid being stuck without a working remote in the future, here are some tips:
- Always keep your Vizio TV remote in the same spot when not in use. Never let it get misplaced.
- Check the remote batteries regularly and replace them at the first sign of low power.
- Program your cable or satellite box remote to control power and volume on your Vizio TV as a backup.
- Purchase a universal remote as a backup in case your Vizio remote stops working or gets damaged.
- Use the SmartCast app on your phone as a substitute remote if needed.
Taking simple precautions can prevent remote control failure and loss. But even if your remote stops working, this guide has provided alternative ways to reboot your Vizio TV without needing it.
Unable to find your Vizio TV remote? Don’t worry! As you’ve learned, rebooting your Vizio smart TV or non-smart model is still possible without a working remote control on hand.
The onboard physical buttons provide a direct way to power cycle both smart and non-smart Vizio TVs. For smart TVs, the Vizio SmartCast app adds another convenient reboot option as well.
Following the step-by-step instructions outlined in this guide, you can easily reboot and restart your Vizio TV to resolve common issues – even without a remote. Just locate the correct buttons on the rear panel or reconnect the set to WiFi as needed.
So the next time your Vizio TV is frozen or acting up, don’t panic if you can’t find the remote. Use this guide to refresh your TV without the traditional remote control. Your Vizio TV will be up and running again in no time!