How to Fix a Sticky Button on Xbox one Controller – Easy Steps
Xbox and its controllers, a three-word crazy story in which you stay in front of a screen for longer sessions that are full of excitement, surprises, thrillings, and chillings.
No matter what game you are playing the Xbox controller is the primary need for Xbox gaming and what spoils all the fun of gaming is if any of the controller buttons feels sticky or responds late due to stickiness in buttons of the controller.
While gaming we come across some highly intense moments where we spill beverages and food over controllers, it seems fine at the moment but in the future, it can be a big problem for you when you are playing with sticky buttons.
Are you one of those who are confused about how to fix a sticky button on the Xbox controller? Don’t worry anymore because in this article we will tell you how to fix a sticky button on Xbox Controller and how to clean the controller and get it back to the aesthetics of a new controller.
This process works better with the plastic buttons on the other side the rubber buttons takes more time and effort. But the end results will leave you shocked.
Do you need to take your Xbox or Xbox One controller apart?
For gamers, the sticky buttons of the controller are one of the common issues that they face while using a gaming controller for prolonged sessions.
The stickiness that lies between the buttons causes them to respond late making it difficult for gamers to play games and give their top performance.
Fortunately, this procedure is an easy fix that anyone can use with the help of some tools and yes, you will need some patience too. If your controllers are old, then our advice would be to buy a new controller as it’s more convenient and easily affordable.
Why do controller buttons get sticky?
The most common reason for sticky buttons of the controller is a mixture of dust and dirt mixed with our hand’s sweat or oil. The snack and drinks that come in contact with the controller through your hand while you are gaming contribute as well.
If you are stuck with such an issue, then no need to worry because we have some ways by which you can clean that junk up and make your controller work like it’s new.
How to Fix a Sticky Button on Xbox one controller
If you are thinking of how to fix sticky buttons of the controller, then here are some tried and tested true-ways that can help you a lot. Among them, which one to use is depends on how much the Controller buttons are jammed and also what’s your comfort level.
Clean around buttons with alcohol and Q-Tips
If you have spilled anything on your controller, then your controller needs a mirror cleaning around buttons. To do that, grab some Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol and follow this procedure.
- Firstly, unplug the controller from a console or disconnect it.
- Then, dip the Q-tip into rubbing alcohol carefully.
- Then take that Q-tip and rub that around the control buttons that are sticking. Try to get as far and deep down the button as you get.
- Once you have cleaned the button as much as you can, now it’s time to check. Press the sticky buttons a few times so that the alcohol goes down into the surface of the buttons and loosen any type of debris that is stuck in it.
- If you are still facing the same issue, then do repeat the process several times (sometimes it takes time) or you can also try another method which is written below in this article.
The alcohol evaporates quickly and it is advised that you shouldn’t use much alcohol as it might damage the circuitry damage to the controller.
Note: Never clean your controller buttons with water, because when the water gets inside it causes circuitry and corrosion damage to the controller.
Another method: Take the Xbox controller apart and clean
The second alternative option you have to fix the sticky buttons on Xbox controllers is to take the controller apart. This method is risky, you might end up damaging the controller instead of fixing it.
So, it is advised that only go with this method if you have experience in opening up electronics as this is the process of removing the motherboard of a console which also requires great attention and super keen observation skills.
To do so, you will need several screwdrivers of different sizes and some other basic tools that you might already have in your tool kit.
Tools you need:
- Soldering iron
- T6 Torx Screwdriver.
- T8 Torx Screwdriver
Step 1: Battery pack
- First, remove the battery cover and then remove the battery.
Step 2: Side handles
- Hold the controller strongly and remove the side handles, wedging a spudger in between a seam that is between the front and handles plates.
- Now pry the plate away by moving the spudger back and forth.
Step 3: Screws
- Use a screwdriver to punch a hole in the center of a label at the back of the controller.
- In this way, remove 5x screws. Using T8 Security Torx Screwdriver.
Step 4: Backplate
- Remove the backplate.
Step 5: faceplate
- Now, remove the faceplate.
Step 6: Motherboard
- Now, hold the black and white wired down on the top motherboard and de-solder the soldered joints.
- You need to soulder the black and gray wires.
- After that, remove the rumble motors and place them aside.
- Now, unscrew the 2x 7mm T6 screw located near the rumble motor sockets.
- Strongly hold the side of the motherboard.
- Now, lift the motherboard upward while slightly wiggling the motherboard backward and forward.
- Now, remove the six T6 Torx Screwdrivers placed on the bottom motherboard.
- Now remove the bumpers, by taking them out pegs that are used to secure them, by using the spudger. These are placed on the back and front of the controller.
- Now, lift the surrounding piece the home buttons off from its pegs.
- Take them off the other side with the help of a spudger.
- Now remove the bottom motherboard.
- Remove the rubber-like material that backs the buttons.
- The buttons will be facing down, push them out from their place, and remove them.
- Now clean the buttons by using Q-tips or alcohol properly and then place everything back to its original position properly otherwise the controller won’t work.
That’s all and you are done cleaning the controller and its buttons.
Do and don’t while fixing sticky buttons of a controller
- Use a cotton swab and alcohol.
- Be gentle with the controller.
- Use the right tools.
- Trust a repair shop, they are professionals.
- Never use water to clean.
- Don’t hold with excessive force.
- Don’t use a standard screwdriver.
- Don’t go for DIY if you don’t have any experience.
These are the method of how to fix a sticky button on the Xbox one controller. Make sure you follow these ways to keep your controller clean and safe from stickiness.
- Don’t eat and play.
- Keep the area clean and dust-free.
- Use a clean hands-on controller.
That’s all folks. We hope this article will be a great help to you. Thank you.