How to Remove File Association in Windows 10 – 5 Different Methods
Want to know how to remove file association in windows 10? Here’s the step-by-step explanation to deal with the matter. Check out the article for brief yet simple steps.
Not every time, but just sometimes, you accidentally go opting for the wrong app for viewing. That’s how you land in a tech problem as the file is not relevant to the app. You are left with no solution about how to remove the file association in Windows 10.
Agreed it’s nerve cracking, but that’s not something incurable. You can easily remove one extension file from the default app.
Let’s just find out how. But before that, if you are clueless about the file association, give the next section a brief look.
What is File Association?
File association is an association that forms between a file and a PC. One app becomes the medium of the file to appear in a fine way. Let’s say you want to open a picture. In that case, Microsoft Windows will get the job done in Windows 10.
How to Remove File Association in Windows 10 – 5 Ways
1.Manual Method to Break File Association
Before getting into technicalities, it is better to go for the manual method. This technique doesn’t involve a hard and fast job but more or less 5 minutes. Let’s see how it’s done.
- When saving a file, give it a particular name. We suppose here a notepad file.
- Change the file type from one app to all types.
- Right after saving it, go back to the file.
- Right-click on the specific file to see the drop-down.
- Click on ‘Open With’ from the popped options.
- Next, click on ‘Always use this app to open .txt files.’
- There also appears ‘look for another app on this PC.’ Tap on it.
- Go to your file, wherever saved, and change file types to ‘all types.’
- Select the file afterward, and click ‘Open.’
- An error will pop up stating, ‘This app can’t run on your pc.’
- Delete the file after the file association is confirmed
- Again go to the file, click ‘open with.’
- Select any app that appears suitable for your file. Then, tick marks it.
- Finally, reboot your pc to enjoy new settings
2.Window Registry Method
If luck didn’t favor you for the first method, attempt this one. It surely does wonders. To get work from this method, apply the following steps:
- To run the command, hit Windows + R
- On pressing enter, you’ll see an empty bar.
- Write ‘Regedit’ in the bar and tap ‘enter.’
- The following link needs to be copy-pasted in the omnibox in the next step: Computer/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Exploere/FileExts.
- After entering it, find the extension for which you covet to eliminate file association.
- Right-click and choose the option ‘ delete.’
- Reboot your pc.
That’s all; you are done with removing file association.
3.DISM Scanning for File Association Removal
In this method, all you need is an excessive pc/laptop. Also, an extra USB is required to make the work handy.
- Use a new computer, and run ‘Command Prompt.’
- On the black screen that will appear, you have to enter this link: dism /online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:”%UserProfile%\Desktop\DefaultAppAssociations.xml.”
- Right after this, you’ll see a file prepared on the desktop.
- Now, connect your USB to this computer
- Copy the created file to your USB
- Disconnect your USB from this computer and get it plugged into your troubleshooting pc.
- Run ‘command prompt’ on your pc then.
- Paste this link in there: dism /online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:”%UserProfile%\Desktop\MyDefaultAppAssociations.xml“
- Press ‘enter’.
Right after that, restart your pc. After the booting, things will be different.
4.Updates to Window Settings
Window settings get you indecent experience sometimes with file association. The unfortunate part is, it won’t even let you know. So, keep a check if the issue is just this simple and correct it this way:
- Initiate with searching ‘Settings app’ on your PC.
- Approach Apps>default apps.
- In the right pane of the page, you’ll then see ‘Set defaults by App’
- Select the type of file, and tap ‘manage.’
- Make the match of your file with your desired app
This simple process will surely get you results.
5.Hands Down for a Tool to Remove File Association
Not necessarily; these four steps ahead helped attain your results. In case your problem is still there, go for this working step.
- Search in google unassoc_1_4.zip.
- Green colored ‘download now’ option will appear. Tap on it.
- Once it downloads, right-click on it
- Select ‘Run as administrator.’
- Select the file type from the drop-down menu and click on ‘Remove file association(user).’
- After that, again open the file. This time it will ask you to choose one app.
- Get your pc another round of boot.
When it’ll get started, the file association removal will already be done.
These were the simple hacks about how to remove file association in Windows 10. Not to mention, they are working tips and propel effective results.