How To Set Up 2FA On Xbox – The Easiest And Fastest Solution
Do you want to get rid of the fear of getting your account hacked? But don’t you know how to protect your Xbox account using two-factor authentication? Well, this article has all the information you require.
Xbox gamers are usually worried about their gaming accounts as their accounts hold thousands of dollars of games, which are hard to purchase all at once.
We all know how hackers get access to our accounts so easily if there is no additional security. However, it gets hectic if you lose your account once. Therefore, extra protection is a necessary thing to do.
Do you know that the Xbox can secure your Microsoft accounts with 2FA, also known as two-factor authentication? Many social media websites also provide you with this feature so that you might be aware of it. Well, if not, then we will explain it to you.
Putting an extra layer of 2FA on your Microsoft Xbox accounts is a great idea to help secure your account from getting hacked.
Moreover, you don’t have to worry about getting your account information leaked as the 2FA feature entirely assures your account adequately.
What is 2FA?
The Xbox provides many features, and the 2FA is one of them, and it helps protect your account. Many big companies offer you the following feature, and the reason behind it is simple: Your account security.
Once you activate two-factor authentication on your Microsoft Xbox account, you require an authentication code every time you sign in from a new device.
The company mails you, texts you, and even verifies through the verification email, which is a great idea to protect your expensive gaming accounts from hackers.
Suppose, even if a hacker or anyone somehow gets your username and password, they still wouldn’t be able to access your account as they can’t have the authentication code or verification email.
Moreover, this way, even if someone tries to get into your account, you receive a text message or email with a code that alarms you quickly.
Is two-factor authentication necessary to protect an Xbox account?
If you are looking forward to keeping your account secure from everyone, 2FA is the feature you should set up. However, if we talk about security, the 2FA is necessary to enhance your account’s security. Many companies always suggest you use the 2FA feature to ensure nobody gets a hold of your account.
How to enable 2FA on Xbox?
Do you want to use the two-factor authentication to protect your account but don’t know how to enable the following feature? Well, nothing to worry about as we got your back!
We will help you by providing you with simple steps on how to enable 2FA on Xbox. So, keep reading and make sure you use the feature to protect your Microsoft Xbox gaming account.
- The first thing you have to do is head to the Microsoft website and sign in with your Xbox account.
- Once you are signed in with your username and password, click on the security, and the website will ask you to enter your username and password again as it’s sensitive information.
- Tap on advanced security options. And Microsoft will inquire you to enter your phone number and a backup email address. Ensure you enter a valid email address as you have to verify and link it with your Xbox account.
This alternative email will help you recover your account in case you forget the password. Moreover, you will receive the verification of 2FA on it too.
- After you enter your phone number, email address and verify them both, you can still add more accounts for two-factor authentication. All you have to do is tap on adding a new way to sign in or verify and choose the method you want to use in order to sign in with 2FA.
You can either pick to sign in with 2FA through text messages, phone calls, email addresses or even through Windows hello and Microsoft authenticator applications.
To set up the 2FA, Microsoft requires at least two methods of verifying your identity. So, ensure you choose at least two ways to verify for better security.
- Once you choose the methods, then scroll down to the two-factor authentication. And, if you can’t find a 2FA option, check the top-right corner of the page for 2FA links.
When you are on the 2FA page, it will allow you to know the two-factor authentication status. Press turn on to enable the 2FA.
- Microsoft will now guide you through the process of 2FA, and to start setting up, you need to tap on Next and scroll to the information screens.
- If you already have chosen the two different two-factor verification methods, then you can quickly scroll right through until a finish button comes. And, if you haven’t the Microsoft will ask you to select the verification methods.
- While you are setting up the 2FA, you will receive an email from Microsoft, which will let you know that the 2FA is now enabled on your Xbox account.
See how easy it is to guard your precious Xbox gaming accounts. Follow all the steps and enable the 2FA without an issue. Make sure you don’t miss any single step as it will mess up allowing the two-factor authentication.
How to check if the 2FA is working or not?
Are you still concerned and want to double-check whether the two-factor authentication is enabled to protect your Xbox account or not? Well, it’s easy to do.
Turn on the browser’s incognito mode, visit the Microsoft website and sign in with your username and password. And, if it works, then after tapping on the sign-in, you will be seeing a page asking you to choose a method of how you want to verify and pass the 2FA.
Choose any verification method, and then Microsoft will ask you to enter a verification code, which you will receive via your selected verification way.
How to sign in with two-factor authentication on Xbox?
Are you done setting up the 2FA on your Xbox account but don’t know how to log in on Xbox with two-factor authentication. Well, leave all your concerns to us.
When you turn on your Xbox and log in with your username and password, you will see a window asking, “is it really you?” tap on “A” to select your desired verification method and tap on Next.
Once you choose a verification method, you will be receiving a code. And, enter the received code using the number box. Ensure you enter the number code right, and you will be straight headed to the home screen.
How to sign in to Xbox using the Microsoft authenticator application?
The Microsoft Authenticator app is a great way to log in to your Xbox account with ease if the 2FA is enabled. In other words, it’s a companion to the 2FA feature. It’s available on Android, iOS, and Windows as well.
It helps you log in without checking your emails or text messages for a verification code; instead, you can just quickly log in with the application.
Here’s the process on how to use the Microsoft authenticator application.
- Firstly, you have to sign in to your Microsoft or Xbox account.
- Once you are done signing in, you can see your account on the list.
- Microsoft will ask you how you want to verify your identity before you head to the home page. Well, you have to select the authenticator application as a verification method.
- After choosing the authenticator application, you don’t have to check your emails or text messages to retrieve the code.
Instead, just open up the authenticator application, and there you can see a “One-Time code” along with a time limit.
- When the Xbox asks you to enter the code, just get it right in the number box.
It’s much simpler than checking up on emails and text messages, as all you have to do is check the verification code on the application.
Isn’t it flexible enough? And, in case the timer runs out, you don’t have to panic and just wait for the application to generate a new verification code.
Can I turn off the 2FA on my Xbox account?
Don’t want to use the two-factor authentication method anymore? And, want to turn off the feature but don’t know how to? Well, it’s simple just follow the steps.
- Log in to your Microsoft account.
- Tap on the security, then go to advanced security options.
- Scroll all the way down to the 2FA option.
- Tap on turn off and confirm it by clicking on “Yes.”
Follow all four steps, and you won’t have to enter the two-factor authentication code to log in to your Xbox account.
Final words – is it really secure to use 2FA on my Xbox account?
Anyone who has many games on their Xbox account worth thousands of dollars could easily get concerned about their account. And, the safest way to secure the account from getting hacked is the 2FA authentication.
As you know, the Xbox provides you with the 2FA feature, and you aren’t using any third-party apps to secure your account. So, it’s the safest way possible to protect your games.
Moreover, it’s pretty speedy, too, if you use the Microsoft Authenticator application.